Channel Choice Awards - Voting Open
EDGE 2020 Goes Virtual
Fortinet® – a market-leading network security provider and worldwide leader of unified threat management (UTM) solutions – today announced a new FortiGate® multi-threat security appliance designed to meet high-end requirements of the mid-enterprise customer segment. Fortinet is also announcing new and improved functionality for the FortiOS™ 4.0 operating system which powers all FortiGate devices.
The new FortiGate-1240B appliance offers best-in-class 40 Gbps firewall and 16 Gbps IPSec VPN throughputs, which represent a 400 percent performance advantage over the nearest competitor*.
The FortiGate-1240B platform continues the technology excellence formula introduced on the other two members of Fortinet’s mid-enterprise family – the FortiGate-310B and FortiGate-620B – by also providing the highest port density and best price/performance ratio among products in its class*. The three products make up Fortinet’s complete range of multi-threat security appliances for the mid-enterprise.
Dozens of enhancements are included in FortiOS 4.0 MR1, including antivirus scanning and URL filtering for IPv6 traffic, optimised log data to reduce network storage consumption by 50 percent, policy-based granular endpoint control for FortiClient™- capable endpoints, and enhanced data loss prevention (DLP) capabilities.
Mid-sized enterprises have the same fundamental security challenges as the largest enterprise organisations. Key areas of challenge include achieving higher network throughput, greater network segmentation, and sophisticated security control. The FortiGate-1240B directly addresses these challenges in a single multi-threat security appliance. This allows customers to segment dozens of LANs within their larger network, each with its own set of security policies and performance requirements.
“Our product strategy is to deliver the highest benefit that technology has to offer at the best possible performance and price, whether for networks of several hundred or several thousand,” said Michael Xie, CTO and co-founder, Fortinet. “Cybercriminals target small and mid-sized enterprises just as they do the largest, so we’ve applied the same high-technology philosophy to our mid-enterprise products as we have our highest enterprise products, which give customers the most effective line of defense for their individual networks.”
Underscoring a Successful Strategy
Similar to the first two members of the Fortinet mid-enterprise family, the new FortiGate-1240B appliance gives customers the security, performance and flexibility that were previously only available to high-enterprise customers at a fraction of the cost.
Among similar products in the high-end mid-enterprise segment, the FortiGate-1240B product shows orders of magnitude advantage in firewall/IPSec performance, achieved through high port density that is accelerated with Fortinet’s newest generation of network (NP4) and content (CP6) FortiASIC™ processors.
The FortiGate-1240B appliance offers the following leadership metrics when compared with other multi-threat security appliances in its class:
• Highest firewall/IPSec performance with 40 Gbps and 16 Gbps performance, respectively;
• Highest Gigabit Ethernet port density at 40 GbE ports, 38 of which are ASIC-accelerated; closest competitor offers 10 total ports;
• Firewall inspection of up to 2 million concurrent sessions, nearly doubling that of competitors;
• Six storage module slots enabling up to 384 gigabytes of storage, more than doubling storage capacity of competitive products. Storage is required for new services included in FortiOS 4.0 such as WAN optimisation, and storing reporting data for compliance purposes.
With enhancements to FortiOS 4.0, FortiGate-1240B customers will also see the following new functionalities:
• IPv6 support: Adds support for antivirus scanning and URL filtering of IPv6 traffic. Many security vendors are still lagging in supporting the new IP protocol, which is being adopted first by the federal segment in the U.S., the carrier segment globally, as well as for core networking in Japan.
• Log Optimisation/Reduction: Log optimisation reduces the amount of information generated by up to 50 percent, effectively reducing by half the amount of information transmitted across the network, as well as the amount required to be stored and maintained for security analysis and assisting with policy compliance.
• Endpoint Network Access Control (NAC): As part of the FortiGuard® subscription service, a FortiGate platform can monitor the applications being installed on FortiClient-managed endpoints. The FortiGate can now block access to users that run or install violating applications, ensuring policy compliance against unauthorized applications.
• Improvements in Data Loss Prevention: Improved ability to detect data loss where international character sets are used.
The FortiGate-1240B and FortiOS 4.0 MR1 are both available now.
Fortinet products are distributed in Australia by Ingram Micro, Firewall Systems, and Whitegold Solutions. Australian pricing for the FortiGate-1240B begins at $21,995 ex GST.
Fortinet products are distributed in New Zealand by Ingram Micro and Firewall Systems. New Zealand pricing for the FortiGate-1240B begins at $27,995 ex GST.
Fortinet provides FortiOS 4.0 MR1 as a no-cost upgrade to FortiGate customers with valid maintenance contracts.
Additional information on the FortiGate-1240B can be found at
http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortigate/1240B.html. Details about new enhancements to FortiOS 4.0 MR1 are available at http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortiOS.
*Based on publicly available data
About Fortinet (www.fortinet.com)
Fortinet is a leading provider of network security appliances and the market leader in Unified Threat Management or UTM. Fortinet solutions were built from the ground up to integrate multiple levels of security protection -- including firewall, VPN, antivirus, intrusion prevention, Web filtering, spyware prevention and antispam -- designed to help customers protect against network and content level threats. Leveraging a custom ASIC and unified interface, Fortinet solutions offer advanced security functionality that scales from remote office to chassis-based solutions with integrated management and reporting. Fortinet solutions have won multiple awards around the world and are the only security products that are certified in five programs by ICSA Labs: Firewall, Antivirus, IPSec VPN, Network IPS and Antispam. Fortinet is based in Sunnyvale, California.
Copyright © 2009 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and unregistered trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet's trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiManager, FortiMail, FortiClient, FortiCare, FortiAnalyzer, FortiReporter, FortiOS, FortiASIC, FortiWiFi, FortiSwitch, FortiVoIP, FortiBIOS, FortiLog, FortiResponse, FortiCarrier, FortiScan, FortiDB and FortiWeb. Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties.
Media Contact: Sebastian Rice, 02 9959 1991, firstname.lastname@example.org