- 8 March 2012 13:15
Cisco and NetApp Help Customers Accelerate Transition to Microsoft Private Cloud
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA — 8 March 2012 — As data centre virtualization becomes more pervasive, IT functions are increasingly seeking to lower cost of ownership and improve manageability by unifying silos of information with shared IT infrastructures and multi-hypervisor environments. To meet growing customer demand for choice and flexibility, Cisco and NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) are announcing the availability of a Cisco® Validated Design (CVD) for the FlexPod™ shared infrastructure and Microsoft private cloud. The new FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud builds on a reference architecture that was announced last year and is designed to reduce infrastructure and application deployment time from days to hours while helping achieve greater utilisation of physical and virtual resource pools. Part of a series of innovative joint solutions that Cisco and NetApp are bringing to market with support from Microsoft, the FlexPod solution is currently available for demonstration in select Microsoft Technology Centres (MTCs) around the world, allowing partners and customers the opportunity to see firsthand the many benefits of the solution.
To help channel partners further accelerate and simplify customers’ transitions to private clouds, Cisco and NetApp are working with Dimension Data, an IT services and solutions provider, to expand its FlexPod Services to provide customers with the validated, pretested data centre solution for the cloud.
Key Facts / Highlights:
New FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud
• Validated by Microsoft as part of its Private Cloud Fast Track program, the new FlexPod validated shared infrastructure features the Cisco UCS™ server, Cisco network switches, NetApp® unified storage systems running on Data ONTAP® software, and the Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track architecture with Windows Server 2008 R2 and System Centre.
• FlexPod is a pretested architectural design guide that combines networking, computing, and storage in a shared infrastructure and supports multiple applications and workloads to help customers accelerate and simplify their transition to the cloud. The flexible, scalable shared infrastructure is pretested to lower deployment risk, increase data centre efficiencies, and create a flexible information technology (IT) environment to build a Microsoft private cloud.
• The FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud goes beyond virtualization to drive real business value through deep insight into applications and to simplify the evolution to IT as a Service (ITaaS). The platform allows customers to orchestrate IT resources so they can deliver applications as services, rapidly resolve problems, increase application uptime, and meet desired Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
• The FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud is deployed at select MTCs worldwide, allowing customers to see the power of Microsoft System Centre with Windows Server Hyper-V on the FlexPod shared infrastructure. Partners and customers have direct access to FlexPod deployments and can engage with Cisco, Microsoft, and NetApp technology experts through briefings, architectural design sessions, and proof-of-concept engagements. Dimension Data Support for the FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud
• As part of its FlexPod Services, Dimension Data will now provide its customers with a single source for delivery of the Microsoft private cloud built on FlexPod solution. Dimension Data will offer multiple configurations to help channel partners meet different customer requirements, especially for those working with customers in the high-growth vertical markets of education, energy, finance, government, healthcare, resources and retail.
• Dimension Data’s expanded FlexPod Services are designed to deliver the FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud quickly and easily. The services include pre-sales support, consolidated quoting, single order capability, assembly and testing, ship complete, and tracking. Additionally, customers will be able to work hand in hand with a dedicated Dimension Data team to support all of their FlexPod needs, as well as draw upon additional support and expertise from Dimension Data's dedicated Cisco and NetApp teams.
• FlexPod Services from Dimension Data allow customers to focus their resources on core business strategies while Dimension Data handles the complexities of solution development and supply-chain management.
Cisco and NetApp FlexPod Shared Infrastructure
• Since Cisco and NetApp’s FlexPod was announced in November 2010, both channel partners and customers have embraced the benefits of the solution. To date, approximately 500 joint channel partners worldwide are certified to sell FlexPod and more than 600 customers have deployed FlexPod in their data centre infrastructure, representing more than 400% growth in customer adoption since May 2011.
• To provide greater flexibility and customer choice, FlexPod currently offers 13 Cisco Validated Designs supporting multiple hypervisors, business applications and workloads. Cisco and NetApp will sponsor Microsoft Management Summit (MMS) 2012, where these and other private cloud solutions will be demonstrated.
• NetApp and Cisco offer programs to support FlexPod to give channel partners access to a wide range of unique tools and resources to help partners differentiate their services, speed time to market, and grow their revenues. The channel programs include technical trainings and service benefits, as well as marketing and sales support.
• Brad Anderson, corporate vice president, Management and Security, Microsoft
“Customers find unique value in Microsoft’s private cloud because of our cross-platform approach—you can build one private cloud for your heterogeneous workloads and platforms. The FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud implements best practices for effectively integrating server, storage, and network elements with Windows Server, Hyper-V, and System Centre. By combining Cisco and NetApp solutions with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Centre, we can give our joint customers an integrated, agile, and efficient data centre environment.”
• Peter Menadue, Group General Manager - Microsoft Solutions, Dimension Data
“By working collaboratively with Microsoft, Cisco and NetApp to develop and delivery Microsoft private cloud built on FlexPod solutions, Dimension Data is now able to provide an alternative to customers considering Microsoft , as virtualization and cloud computing become more mainstream. FlexPod’s pre-sized, validated and standardised data centre architecture allows us to build flexible private cloud solutions to help our customers accelerate their adoption of cloud computing.
• Satinder Sethi, vice president, Server Access Virtualization Technology Group, Cisco
“The FlexPod validated with Microsoft private cloud reinforces Cisco’s commitment to offering a range of data centre solutions that enable our channel partners to offer customers more choice and flexibility. Microsoft customers can now use shared infrastructure and integrated management to complement Microsoft’s deep application insights, along with the ability to automatically orchestrate resources from the FlexPod, to enable customers to deliver applications as services and meet demanding business service-level agreements.”
• Phil Brotherton, vice president of the Enterprise Software Group, NetApp
“The strong market demand for Microsoft private cloud solutions built on NetApp and Cisco technologies further reinforces the importance of this strategic three-way partnership. Together, we are bringing compelling, innovative solutions to market that enable our joint partners and customers to build secure private clouds optimised for efficiency, flexibility, and fast time to value. NetApp’s ongoing and proven integrations with Cisco UCS and Windows Server, Hyper-V, System Centre, and applications underscore our commitment, and we look forward to much more to come at the Microsoft Management Summit in April.”
• The Cisco Validated Design for the FlexPod solution validated with Microsoft private cloud.
• Other Cisco tested and validated designs for key Microsoft applications, such as Exchange, SharePoint, and SQL Server--are also available at www.cisco.com/go/microsoft.
• To learn more about the Microsoft private cloud platform visit http://www.microsoft.com/readynow/ and http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/new.aspx.
• Learn more about Cisco Unified Computing.
• Get information about NetApp Microsoft Private Clouds.
• Partners and customers can learn more about the Microsoft Fast Track Architecture Guide.
• Read more about the NetApp Private Cloud Solution Brief.
• Connect with NetApp experts and storage enthusiasts in the NetApp Community.
• Visit the NetApp for Microsoft Environments blog: http://blogs.netapp.com/msenviro/.
• Follow NetApp on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
• Follow Cisco on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
• Follow Dimension Data on Twitter and Facebook.
Key Words/Tags: FlexPod, Cisco, NetApp, Microsoft, Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Private Cloud, Cisco UCS, Cloud Computing, Data Centre Infrastructure
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to newsroom.cisco.com. About NetApp
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Our commitment to living our core values and consistently being recognised as a great place to work around the world are fundamental to our long-term growth and success, as well as the success of our pathway partners and customers. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at http://www.netapp.com/au/
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, Data ONTAP, and FlexPod are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between Cisco and NetApp, or any other company. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
Press Contacts: Amy Ngian NetApp +61 2 9779 5612 firstname.lastname@example.org