Nominations close on August 3
WEDNESDAY, JULY 29 | How partners can help their customers make the most of Cloud as the future of work takes hold
EDGE 2020 Goes Virtual
New NetApp® SnapProtect® Management Software Accelerates and Simplifies Data Protection for Shared IT Infrastructures
SnapProtect Management Software Expands NetApp’s Integrated Data Protection Portfolio to Improve Backup and Recovery in Virtualized and Physical Environments
SUNNYVALE, Calif.— May 31, 2011— As enterprises transition to flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructures—the foundation for cloud computing —they are increasingly turning to virtualization to gain greater value and improve efficiencies. They are also seeking ways to reliably meet recovery point objectives within compressed timeframes. To address these evolving requirements, NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) is strengthening its industry-leading portfolio of Integrated Data Protection solutions with its new NetApp® SnapProtect® management software. SnapProtect software combines efficient, high-speed NetApp SnapshotTM copies and replication with tape in a single backup solution to help organizations improve the speed, efficiency, and simplicity of their backup and recovery operations.
With today’s announcement, NetApp has expanded its collaboration with CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) to include a global OEM agreement under which its industry-leading CommVault® Simpana® software provides a core component of the new NetApp SnapProtect offering. Today’s announcement further underscores NetApp’s commitment to OEM business models as an integral component of the company’s strategy to expand its market reach.
News Facts • In transitioning to virtualized, shared IT environments, enterprises are turning to snapshot copies to achieve greater efficiencies, back up vast data volumes within short timetables to meet demanding service levels, and recover business operations quickly.
• To maximize the efficiencies of snapshot copies, many backup strategies employed by enterprises today require a separate management process or detailed scripting, which introduces complexity and the potential for data loss. Using a single management framework, NetApp SnapProtect software eliminates the need to manage snapshot operations and backup in parallel, allowing enterprises to gain the speed and efficiency of snapshot copies with the flexibility of an industry-leading backup application.
• NetApp is focused on leveraging its vast ecosystem of industry-leading technology partners to deliver innovative solutions that help enterprises transition to a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure and that enable IT to be an accelerator of the business.
• Backup and recovery technology is a key element of integrated data protection—one of NetApp’s eight key purchasing criteria for enabling a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure. The NetApp Integrated Data Protection product portfolio is widely recognized in the industry for reducing costs and minimizing overall storage capacity requirements with a single unified architecture that delivers high availability, backup, compliance, and disaster recovery services.
• In addition, NetApp is expanding integration with CommVault Simpana software to manage both NetApp Snapshot copies and replication in their existing Simpana environment. This integration delivers an innovative approach to data protection that helps customers streamline management of terabytes to petabytes of data.
• SnapProtect software is one of several solutions that are part of NetApp’s strategy to accelerate and simplify backup and recovery through the integration of NetApp Snapshot copies and replication with third-party backup management provided by innovative partners.
NetApp SnapProtect Solution Details • Fast and flexible. SnapProtect software combines high-speed NetApp Snapshot copies and disk-to-disk replication with traditional tape backup processes in a single solution. This solution accelerates NetApp data protection and enables users to customize a strategy based on cost, compliance, and recovery objectives.
• Efficient. SnapProtect software leverages NetApp’s innovative storage efficiency technologies, which are widely recognized in the industry and can reduce storage usage on primary and secondary disk by up to 90% to optimize IT efficiency.
• Simple. Snapshot copy creation, replication, and movement to tape are all managed from a unified console, enabling customers to respond faster to issues, streamline operations, and simplify management. A unified catalog tracks backups across disk and tape, accelerating search and restore operations.
• Virtualization and application aware. SnapProtect software tightly integrates with virtualization, database, collaboration, and messaging applications to enable faster backup and granular, application-specific restores.
• Integration for faster, more efficient operations. Through integration with the latest version of CommVault Simpana 9 software, NetApp Snapshot copies and SnapVault® replication can be provisioned and managed within a customer’s existing environment. Today’s announcement expands the integration to include virtually seamless Snapshot copy to SnapVault backup to tape policy support, SnapMirror® replication support, enhanced hypervisor and database support, and automated secondary storage provisioning.
• Extensible. Every NetApp solution has access to the broader set of high-availability, disaster recovery, compliance, and archive capabilities found in the NetApp Integrated Data Protection portfolio. This enables customers to greatly reduce cost and complexity across all their data protection needs.
Supporting Quotes • Dave Russell, research vice president, Gartner, Inc. “The combination of growing data volumes and evolving IT infrastructures introduce added levels of complexity and present new challenges for IT professionals under pressure to meet stringent backup and recovery service levels. Enterprises need a backup strategy that enables them to reliably meet shorter backup windows and recovery point objectives.”
• Chris Cummings, vice president, Product and Solutions Marketing at NetApp “NetApp is widely recognized as the leader in efficient, integrated data protection, and that’s one of many reasons we’re winning in shared IT infrastructures. We are at the forefront of a major shift in thinking around improving data protection to deliver outstanding efficiencies and enable enterprises to re-invest significant resources from ongoing operations to innovating for the future. With the introduction of our new SnapProtect solution, NetApp is building on its leadership in replication to address these new customer requirements.”
• David West, senior vice president, Marketing and Business Development at CommVault “IT organizations are re-architecting their backup infrastructures to support today’s modern data center, contend with Big Data, improve SLA’s and right-size the exorbitant spend associated with antiquated approaches. Overcoming these challenges requires a radically different approach – one that tightly integrates data management software with array based snapshots and replication. Today’s announcement delivers on our promise to build innovative, high performance and cost effective solutions to solve companies’ most pressing data management challenges.”
Additional Resources • Learn more about SnapProtect management software: www.netapp.com/us/snapprotect • Learn more about the NetApp portfolio of Integrated Data Protection solutions: www.netapp.com/us/solutions/infrastructure/data-protection/ • Read more about today’s announcement in Vaughn Stewart’s blog: http://blogs.netapp.com/virtualstorageguy/ • Learn more about how NetApp Syncsort Integrated Backup enables customers to centralize backups onto NetApp storage to gain the speed and efficiency benefits of NetApp technologies: http://www.netapp.com/us/solutions/infrastructure/data-protection/backup-recovery/netapp-syncsort-integrated-backup.html • Learn about NetApp’s new storage-buying criteria for shared IT infrastructure: www.netapp.com/us/library/analyst-reports/rfp-exec-summary.html • Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp • Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp • Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=111681 • Discuss this news in the NetApp Community, where you can exchange thoughts and ideas on a variety of topics with our community members. Join now: http://communities.netapp.com
About NetApp NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
About CommVault A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, SnapMirror, SnapProtect, Snapshot, and SnapVault are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and other/or countries. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership between NetApp and any other company. CommVault, CommVault Systems, Simpana, and Singular Information Management are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Media Contact: Rachel York Max Australia +61 2 9954 3492 email@example.com