NOMINATIONS EXTENDED - CLOSE ON AUGUST 10
EDGE 2020 Goes Virtual
If this media release has been found in your spam folder, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe list to ensure delivery of future emails. If this mail is coming to your work email address, please also ask your postmaster to whitelist the maxaustralia.com.au domain
NetApp Enables IT to Be More Flexible, Efficient, and Ready for the Future
New Portfolio Delivers Foundation for Shared IT Infrastructure, Accelerates Implementation of Both Private and Public Clouds
SYDNEY, Australia.—November 10, 2010—More customers are rethinking their IT infrastructures and evaluating alternatives to cope with the new realities of today’s business growth and pace. There is a sense of urgency to act now and move from a siloed infrastructure to a shared IT infrastructure that is more efficient and flexible in addressing today’s rapidly evolving business requirements. To help customers respond to these demands, NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) today unveiled new platform features, products, and technologies that will help customers make the transition to a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure—the foundation for cloud computing—and enable IT to be an accelerator of the business.
“There’s a significant change underway as CIOs look to better align IT to the speed of business and get IT budgets under control,” said Tom Georgens, president and chief executive officer, NetApp. “This is a pivotal time, because the decisions IT leaders make will not only impact how they compete today but also the long-term success of their businesses. Winners in this market are thinking and choosing differently, and more customers are turning to NetApp as their storage platform to achieve greater flexibility and efficiency. We are paving the way for customers to transition to a shared IT infrastructure that will help them be ready for the future and use IT as a tool to capitalise on new growth opportunities.”
The following new product and technology portfolio delivers the storage platform of choice for customers to build their shared IT infrastructure and make IT more flexible and efficient.
* Unified Architecture and Systems Portfolio
* NetApp Data ONTAP® 8: Data ONTAP 8 has new features to enable greater flexibility, efficiency, scalability, and performance. A first for the industry, Unified Connect takes the unified architecture to new levels by supporting all protocols through a single wire to help increase efficiency, improve performance, and simplify management. NetApp DataMotion for Volumes allows customers to move large volumes of data without disrupting their business operations. In addition, new inline data compression can be used alone or with deduplication to help dramatically reduce the amount of storage needed and improve storage efficiency.
* NetApp FAS/V6200 Series: A family of three new high-end storage systems—FAS/V6280, FAS/V6240, and FAS/V6210—extends NetApp’s unified architecture and provides double the performance, increased enterprise-class availability, and more scalability and flexibility. Customers can meet their mission-critical business requirements while responding to the rapid growth and pace of their business.
* NetApp FAS/V3200 Series: A family of three new midrange storage systems—FAS/V3270, FAS/V3240, and FAS/V3210—delivers one of the industry’s most cost-effective platform for greater flexibility and efficiency, higher performance, and enterprise availability, to support today’s midrange storage requirements and adapt to future changes.
* NetApp Solid State Drives (SSDs): In addition to its market-leading Flash Cache technology, the introduction of SSDs extends NetApp’s portfolio to provide an option for customers who require consistently fast response times for mission-critical applications. The new SSDs deliver high input/output operations per second and the flexibility to use them for SAN or NAS without needing a gateway or different storage system.
* NetApp SAS Disk Shelf: NetApp’s third-generation SAS-based shelf, the new DS2246, helps double the performance density, can provide up to 50% better power efficiency per rack unit, and offers strong resiliency and availability for enterprise storage needs.
* OnCommand Management Software Suite
* NetApp’s new management suite, OnCommand, allows greater control and optimization of unified storage, automation for operational efficiency, and optimal flexibility with an open API that integrates with a variety of third-party management products and hypervisors.
* FlexPod Modular Data Center Solution
* As part of their ongoing collaboration, Cisco, NetApp, and VMware are offering a presized, validated, standardised data center architecture design that is available through select joint channel partners. FlexPod for VMware® helps customers accelerate their transformation to a virtualized, shared IT infrastructure with consistent and proven designs to simplify deployment and help reduce risk.
In addition to the new product portfolio detailed above, NetApp introduced a simpler software pricing structure to make it easier for customers and partners to do business with NetApp. The new software pricing structure offers more value-added software for no additional cost as part of the base package, enhancing value and increasing flexibility for customers customising their infrastructure.
* Manish Goel, executive vice president of Product Operations, NetApp “Yesterday’s technology strategies and approaches are inadequate for today’s requirements. The market is moving toward a more flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure, which is optimal for virtualization and cloud computing. Customers no longer ask if they need to move to this paradigm, they now ask when and how. And the answer is now and with NetApp. We were early to recognize this trend and are uniquely positioned to help customers successfully transition to a shared IT infrastructure, enabling them to make decisions today that will impact the long-term success of their business.”
* Eddy Navarro, computer systems manager for Storage, JCVI “The science of genomics deals with staggering amounts of data and, on average, the amount of data we must store doubles every year. New sequencing technologies could increase our storage requirements by an order of magnitude. Our NetApp storage infrastructure helps us ensure our scientists have the data they need. Even when the amount of data grows exponentially, we can count on NetApp to deliver flexible, efficient storage, so that we can make the most of the dollars we get from our grants. This means JCVI can continue to lead efforts to conquer disease and improve the environment through genomics research.”
* Mark Peters, senior analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG) “Facing the dual challenges of flat IT budgets and exploding data growth, IT organizations need to keep pace with the business requirements of today yet also be ready to adapt and respond to the demands of tomorrow. The resulting urgency to employ more dynamic, flexible, and efficient IT approaches—including various cloud implementations—is being enabled by many new technologies that have matured, including those that NetApp is announcing here. These can be used to create a genuine shared IT infrastructure that combines the best of traditional and cloud approaches in order to allow organizations to seize new opportunities and ultimately to advance and accelerate their business objectives.”
* Denis Maguire, Managing Director, Bridge IT Solutions (Australia) “IT Leaders are under incredible pressure to lower their costs while increasing the value and quality of services delivered to the business. It is Bridge’s goal to offer solutions and services that provide customers with a genuine return on investment and long-term advantages. A shared infrastructure enables flexible IT which helps customers capitalise on new opportunities and develop strategies for long-term growth, enabling business breakthroughs We are pleased to partner with NetApp and are excited by the promise of today’s announcement, which will allow us to offer better services for customers, helping them go further, faster.”
* Brendon Jarvis, General Manager, Strategic Growth, Empired (Australia) “As IT becomes more a part of mainstream business strategy, the expectations on IT departments to deliver real value back into the business increase exponentially. Our role is to work with customers to create an IT environment which provides value, speed and efficiency and ultimately delivers business agility. Our partnership with NetApp means we can make this a reality for customers through a flexible IT approach, which helps customers maintain a technology environment that can grow and evolve at the pace of their business.”
* Jason Piszcyk, Technical Director IOCANE (Australia) “In the current business climate, our focus is on helping customers create a flexible IT environment and gain the most benefit from their technology investment. Working with NetApp allows us to partner with a best-of-breed vendor that is focused on providing an outstanding customer experience and delivering true business agility. We look forward to seeing the further advantages that today’s announcement can offer our customers.”
Availability and Pricing
The NetApp products and technologies can be ordered today through NetApp or NetApp’s worldwide network of value-added authorised solution providers, distributors and systems integrators. Customer pricing for these solutions is also available from NetApp sales or reseller partners. For more information, visit http://www.netapp.com/us/how-to-buy/.
Virtual Event: “Make the Leap to a Shared IT Infrastructure” Join NetApp for a virtual event to learn how its new platform features, products, and technologies can make IT ready for the future. Hear NetApp executives Tom Georgens, Manish Goel, and Brendon Howe, as well as Mark Peters, ESG senior analyst, and Robert Ross, chief security officer and senior vice president of Network and Technical Services at DCI, discuss how a shared infrastructure built on NetApp can enable IT to deliver unparalleled efficiency and flexibility to an organization. To register, visit www.netapp.com/us/forms/future-ready-reg.html.
* Read NetApp’s feature story, “Is Your IT as Flexible as Your Business Needs It to Be?”: http://www.netapp.com/us/company/leadership/flexible-it/flexible-it.html * Learn more about NetApp’s new storage-buying criteria for shared IT infrastructure: http://media.netapp.com/documents/rfp-exec-summary.pdf * Follow @NetAppANZ on Twitter
About NetApp NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs and deliver outstanding cost efficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, and Data ONTAP are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. VMware is a registered trademark of VMware, Inc. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
Media Contacts: Rachel York Max Australia (02) 9954-3492 email@example.com
Bas Bolyn Max Australia (02) 9954-3492 firstname.lastname@example.org
Addendum: Partner Quote Sheet NetApp works with many technology partners to deliver integrated, best-of-breed solutions that help customers accelerate their path to a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure. Here’s what some of them are saying:
Chuck Robbins, senior vice president, US Enterprise, Commercial and Canada for Cisco “Cisco, NetApp and VMware developed FlexPod design architecture to help our customers easily move to a simplified, unified, virtualized infrastructure. The validated and predefined architecture makes it easy for our mutual customers and channel partners to implement a flexible, virtualized shared IT infrastructure built on the unified compute, fabric and storage center module.”
Frank Artale, vice president, Business Development at Citrix "Citrix and NetApp share a vision of providing flexible IT infrastructures that allow customers to quickly realize the business benefits of virtual computing, and giving them the ability to capitalize on new opportunities and innovate to get out in front of the competition. Combining Citrix virtualization solutions with Flexible IT from NetApp enables our joint customers to build simpler and more cost-effective IT environments to enable virtual work styles for users and virtual data centers for IT."
Stephen Boyle, group vice president, Worldwide Strategic Alliances, Oracle “Flexible IT from NetApp and Oracle enables IT teams to provide affordable, always-ready services at the speed of today’s business. NetApp’s new scalable platform and software enhancements, coupled with Oracle software can help improve flexibility, efficiency and performance of database environments, and help our customers’ transition to cloud environments.”
Gary Green, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware “Virtualization and shared storage are critical to enabling a shared IT infrastructure, which offers organizations greater flexibility and efficiency to quickly keep pace with the evolving demands on their businesses. To help our customers move further faster, VMware has collaborated with Cisco and NetApp to develop FlexPod, which can significantly reduce risk and simplify deployment with proven, validated ‘out-of-the-box’ designs. With FlexPod, our joint customers can expedite their transition to IT as a Service with a standardized platform from three industry leaders.”