WEDNESDAY, JULY 29 | How Partners Can Help Their Customers Make The Most Of Cloud As The Future Of Work Takes Hold
According to Gartner, the immediate productivity gains promised by the flood of touch-enabled devices coming to market in 2010 will be slow to materialize in the enterprise. Instead, it is the younger generation who will begin to use touchscreen computers ahead of enterprises.
Gartner expects more than 50 percent of PCs purchased for users under the age of 15 to have touchscreens (up from fewer than 2 percent in 2009), in contrast to the predicted less than 10 percent of PCs sold to enterprises for mainstream knowledge workers that will include touchscreens.
Key highlights of this release include:
· Touch and pen input have been available in the PC industry for over 20 years, but there is renewed interest in touch input today, as multitouch on smartphones and the Apple iPhone phenomenon have shown users how useful touch can be. Apple’s iPad has also set off a wave of speculation that it will change the industry.
· iPhone and touch-enabled smartphone users are predicted to want to extend their experience to PC computing, hence the overwhelming majority of devices planned for 2010 will have a consumer focus.
· The earliest adopters of touch-enabled devices will be consumers who rarely deal with legacy issues and are looking for entertainment and casual gaming applications. Media content consumption will be a key target usage and success of entertainment devices is dependent on the content delivery ecosystem.
· Adoption will be slow in the enterprise due to heavy requirements for typing and text input. Moving users’ hands from the keyboard to the mouse will create particular adoption barriers for knowledge workers.
· Adoption is expected to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, led by consumers and gradually accepted by the enterprise.
· The expected widespread adoption of touch by education will result in an entire generation who will graduate within the next 10 to 15 years for whom touch input is totally natural.