Gitpod open sources cloud IDE platform
- 26 August, 2020 05:09
Development environment technology provider Gitpod has open sourced its self-named cloud-based IDE platform for automatically spinning up ready-to-code development environments.
The open-sourcing will allow the Gitpod community to participate in the technology’s development and make it easier for developers to integrate Gitpod into their workflows, the company said.
A Kubernetes application, Gitpod allows developers to maintain development environments as code, turning manual steps into a machine-executable part of a project’s source code. The platform monitors changes in the repository, and preps development environments for every change.
This preparation includes:
- Setting up tools
- Checking out the correct Git branch
- Compiling code
- Downloading dependencies
- Initialising whatever is needed
Developer workflows are streamlined, with teams able to build applications quicker, the company said. Coding can begin from a branch, issue, or merge or pull request, applying CI/CD concepts to development environments. Gitpod works with code-hosting platforms including GitLab, GitHub Enterprise, and Bitbucket.
Benefits of Gitpod cited by the company include:
- Shorter lead times, with reductions in time it takes to switch contexts and maintain development environments
- Elimination of “configuration drift,” with the GitOps approach embraced through versioning of configuration in the Git repository. This ensures consistent, reproducible development environments
- Enabling remote collaboration, with developers able to work on code reviews, mentoring, and sharing snapshots of work