The worldwide public cloud services market is projected to grow 16.5 percent in 2016 to total $US204 billion, up from $175 billion in 2015.
According to Gartner, the highest growth will come from cloud system infrastructure services (IaaS) which is projected to grow 38.4 percent in 2016.
Meanwhile, cloud advertising, the largest segment of the global cloud services market, is expected to grow 13.6 percent in 2016 to reach $US90.3 billion.
“The market for public cloud services is continuing to demonstrate high rates of growth across all markets and Gartner expects this to continue through 2017,” says Sid Nag, Research Director, Gartner.
“This strong growth continues reflect a shift away from legacy IT services to cloud-based services, due to increased trend of organisations pursuing a digital business strategy.”
Looking ahead, Nag says the IaaS segment will remain the fastest-growing segment in 2016, forecast to reach 22.4 billion.
“IaaS continues to be the strongest-growing segment as enterprises move away from data centre build-outs and move their infrastructure needs to the public cloud,” Nag adds.
“Certain market leaders have built a significant lead in this segment, so providers should focus on creating differentiation for success.”
Cloud application services (SaaS) is forecast to grow 20.3 percent in 2016, to $US37.7 billion.
As software vendors shift their business models from on-premises licensed software to public cloud-based offerings, Nag believes this trend will continue.
In addition, the entry of some major software vendors into the public cloud last year will fuel growth of the SaaS market moving forward.
- Dell / EMC merger has its first casualty… 900 VMware jobs
- EXCLUSIVE: Delving deep into digital... Distribution Central outlines key Kiwi power play in 2016
- Why oil price collapse will accelerate datacentre investment in 2016
- SAP solutions hit NZ as Dimension Data utilises Managed Cloud Platform
- Veeam approaches $US500m in total booking revenue globally
- Wearables market to generate $US28 billion in 2016: Gartner