Menu
Appeals court rejects man's claim he owns half of Facebook

Appeals court rejects man's claim he owns half of Facebook

A U.S. appeals court sided with a lower court's decision against Paul Ceglia

Paul Ceglia, who for years has claimed to own 50 percent of Facebook, was denied a bid to revive his case against the company in a U.S. appeals court on Monday.

Ceglia filed suit against Facebook and its CEO Mark Zuckerberg in 2010, claiming he was entitled to the ownership stake on the basis of a 2003 "Work for Hire" contract. Zuckerberg had done programming work for Ceglia's company, StreetFax.com. After a federal district court dismissed his ownership claim last year, Ceglia appealed that ruling to a circuit court in New York.

On Monday, the appeals court affirmed the earlier ruling, calling the Work for Hire document a forgery. The court called Ceglia's arguments meritless and said he has "repeatedly demonstrated total disregard for our judicial system."

The court said it lacked evidence the contract was real and had evidence that it wasn't.

"The record contains no master electronic copy of the Work for Hire document, as might be expected if it were authentic, but rather, reflects multiple similar documents that appear to be test forgeries," the ruling said. Plus, the discovery of the real StreetFax contract signed by Ceglia and Zuckerberg "puts the lie to Ceglia's claim," the ruling said.

The fact that Ceglia didn't sue Facebook for seven years "belies common sense," the ruling said. The fact that the movie "The Social Network," about another Facebook ownership dispute, also came out in 2010 may have been more than a coincidence, the court said.

Ceglia had also sued the government to stop its criminal prosecution of him on charges he defrauded Facebook. A lower court refused to revive that lawsuit, and the appeals court agreed with that decision.

"We are pleased that the truth has prevailed," a Facebook spokeswoman said.

Ceglia was on bail in that case but has been missing since at least last month, after cutting off an electronic monitoring bracelet and violating the conditions of his bail. He is believed to have left home with his wife, two children and dog.

Joseph Alioto, an attorney for Ceglia, said he would seek a petition for a rehearing. He said the Work for Hire document was authentic.

Although Ceglia's whereabouts are unknown, some believe he's in Ireland with relatives who live there, said Robert Ross Fogg, a defense attorney in Ceglia's criminal case.

Zach Miners covers social networking, search and general technology news for IDG News Service. Follow Zach on Twitter at @zachminers. Zach's e-mail address is zach_miners@idg.com


Follow Us

Join the newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.

Tags CriminalInternet-based applications and servicesCivil lawsuitslegalsocial networkingsocial mediainternetFacebook

Featured

Slideshows

A snapshot of the Kiwi partners set to shine at the Reseller News Awards

A snapshot of the Kiwi partners set to shine at the Reseller News Awards

With the 2017 Reseller News ICT Industry Awards only weeks away, Reseller News profiles the power line-up of partners set to dominate the biggest night on the channel calendar. ​Ranging from the enterprise, down through the mid-market and small business sectors into the heart of the start-up scene, the end result is the most diverse and wide-ranging partner line-up in the history of the Awards, playing host to the leading innovators of the past 12 months.​

A snapshot of the Kiwi partners set to shine at the Reseller News Awards
Channel celebrates as HP marks 50 years in NZ

Channel celebrates as HP marks 50 years in NZ

HP marked 50 years in New Zealand at an event in the vendor's Auckland's headquarters last night, with a host of key channel figures coming along to celebrate. Photos by HP.

Channel celebrates as HP marks 50 years in NZ
Show Comments