The owner of a company tasked with exporting the electronic waste collected at last month's eDay is baffled by a Ministry for Economic Development investigation into the consignment. Alex Hong, of CRTNZ, said details of the investigation were unclear, and he believed he had acted according to the conditions of his contract to export electronic waste, including computer monitors. But the ministry's national enforcement unit is investigating an allegation against Hong's company, believed to be to do with whether it has mixed hazardous waste with reusable computer items in containers to be sent to South Korea. Although some of the regulations were complicated, Mr Hong said he believed he had done everything correctly. "I have every confidence I'm doing it right, so I'm thinking I'm safe," he told The New Zealand Herald. He said his biggest concern was that the products were now "frozen", unable to be exported. "Everything is stopped." The investigation was the first time he had been contacted by the ministry, he said. Chairman of eDay organiser 2020 Communication Trust Earl Mardle said the allegation of improper handling of hazardous waste was yet to be proven, but every day the products sat in yards added extra costs to the scheme. The company had called in independent inspectors at a cost of about $30,000 to go through 60 container-loads. This year's eDay, on September 12, saw 966 tonnes of old computers and other electronic devices collected nationwide. Some were to be dismantled for recycling and others were to be resold.
- Check Point rolls out new round of channel initiatives
- Former NZ PM denies writing article in China's official paper
- Cisco warns on Hyperflex security vulnerabilities
- 5G will be ‘killer’ and foldable phones are ‘over-hyped’: IDC
- More News