Menu
Tenders called for rural broadband rollout

Tenders called for rural broadband rollout

Faster rural broadband has moved a step closer to reality with the government calling for expressions of interest from companies wishing to participate in the $300 million rollout.

The Rural Broadband Initiative, which is separate from the government’s ongoing $1.5 billion urban Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative, aims to provide 80 percent of rural households with connection speeds of at least 10Mbps, with the remainder achieving at least 1Mbps. It also aims to ensure 93 percent of rural schools achieve connection speeds of at least 100Mbps, with the remaining 7 percent of schools attaining speeds of at least 10Mbps.

Communications and IT minister Steven Joyce said in a media release that the call for expressions of interest was the first step in a two-step tender process. It would  inform a request for proposal stage from August 2010.

Interested parties would need to submit their expressions of interest to the Ministry of Economic Development by 12pm on May 31, he said.

“Tender participants will be expected to at a minimum provide the provision of fibre connections to 93 percent of rural schools, meet the needs of rural users and broadband access seekers for the foreseeable future, and ensure equivalent and open access infrastructure.

“The government will also consider proposals that would upgrade voice service infrastructure to remote rural users at the same time.”

Joyce said the government expected expressions of interest from telecommunication infrastructure and wholesale bandwidth providers, lines companies, and community organisations in partnership with strategic investment partners and technology suppliers.

The first contracts with companies chosen to participate in the Rural Broadband Initiative would be signed off by the end of the year, he said.


Follow Us

Join the newsletter!

Or

Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.

Featured

Slideshows

Leading female front runners of the Kiwi ICT industry honoured at 2019 WIICTA

Leading female front runners of the Kiwi ICT industry honoured at 2019 WIICTA

Reseller News has honoured the leading female front runners of the New Zealand ICT industry at the 2019 Women in ICT Awards (WIICTA) in Auckland. The awards recognised standout individuals across six categories, spanning Entrepreneur, Rising Star, Shining Star, Community, Technical and Achievement. Photos by Gino Demeer.

Leading female front runners of the Kiwi ICT industry honoured at 2019 WIICTA
Reseller News kicks off awards season in 2019 with Judges' Lunch

Reseller News kicks off awards season in 2019 with Judges' Lunch

The 2019 Reseller News Innovation Awards has kicked off with the Judges Lunch in Auckland with 70 judges in the voting panel. The awards will reflect the changing dynamics of the channel, recognising excellence across customer value and innovation - spanning start-ups, partners, distributors and vendors. Photos by Christine Wong.

Reseller News kicks off awards season in 2019 with Judges' Lunch
Reseller News welcomes industry figures for 2019 Hall of Fame lunch

Reseller News welcomes industry figures for 2019 Hall of Fame lunch

Reseller News welcomed 2018 inductees - Chris Simpson, Kendra Ross and Phill Patton - to the third running of the Reseller News Hall of Fame lunch, held at the French Cafe in Auckland. The inductees discussed the changing landscape of the technology industry in New Zealand, while outlining ways to attract a new breed of players to the ecosystem. Photos by Gino Demeer.

Reseller News welcomes industry figures for 2019 Hall of Fame lunch
Show Comments