Commander’s receivers are expecting to announce a buyer for the company’s enterprise network business within the next week.
Spokesperson for Commander’s receivers McGrathNichol, Jason Preston, said it was now in final negotiations for the remaining enterprise network business and accounts, along with its 100 staff. The deal follows the sale of Commander’s SMB telco assets to ASX-listed player, M2 Telecommunications Group, for $19 million in June.
The enterprise network is the last piece of the Commander group to be sold off, Preston said.
He also confirmed reports receivers will shut off the Frame Relay and Direct Connect components of Commander’s network, which were not part of the M2 sale, on July 31.
It is understood customers accessing these services were to be given 30 days notice of any changes. Preston said customers had been notified of the decision in a letter a couple of weeks ago.
But one Commander employee speaking to ARN expressed concern that customers connected to these services through IADs (Integrated Service Devices that allow customers to run multiple phone lines off a single circuit) would not have time to find alternative arrangements before they were cut off.
The issue was porting of an IAD service could often take more than 60 days, and porting numbers could take even longer, the source said. As a result, it could be months before customers got all their old phone numbers back.
Preston said the receivers were working with all Frame Relay and Direct Connect customers to find alternative arrangements as quickly as possible. There were also similar services available from M2, he said.